|Editions | myCNN | Video | Audio | Headline News Brief | Feedback||
Columbine principal sued by victims of massacre
GOLDEN, Colorado (Reuters) -- The families of three victims of last year's massacre at Columbine High School have sued the school principal and other officials, alleging they knew about the violent tendencies of the two teen-age killers and should have taken action.
The names of principal Frank DeAngelis and other officials were added Monday to lawsuits previously filed against the Jefferson County sheriff's office, the parents of the two killers, Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, and others who helped the two obtain weapons.
The two gunmen killed 13 people and wounded 23 others before taking their own lives in the school during the April 20, 1999, massacre at the Littleton, Colorado, school.
Jefferson County School District spokesman Rick Kaufman said attorneys for the district were reviewing the lawsuit and would comment at a later time.
The lawsuits seek unspecified monetary damages. They were filed by the family of Isaiah Shoels, a student who was killed, and the families of Richard Castaldo and Mark Taylor, who were wounded.
Other victims of the shooting have filed additional lawsuits.
The amended lawsuits alleged that school employees knew about Harris's Web site that contained threats against fellow students.
Last week, a Kentucky judge dismissed lawsuits against the parents of a teen-age boy who killed three students and wounded five others in a 1997 school shooting in Paducah, Kentucky. The judge said the parents of Michael Carneal, now 17 and serving a prison term, should not be held liable for their son's actions because he had not displayed violent tendencies prior to the rampage.
Separately, the U.S. Labor Department said it fined a Littleton Subway sandwich shop $18,625 for violating federal child labor laws in a case in which 15-year-old Nicholas Kunselman was killed while working late on a school night.
Kunselman and his girlfriend, Stephanie Hart, 16, were found dead behind the counter of the sandwich shop on Feb. 14 in a crime that reopened the wounds of the school shooting.
Federal officials got involved because Kunselman was too young to be working late at night. The store also allowed seven other 14- and 15-year-olds to work too many hours and too late at night, the department said in announcing the fine.
Columbine 911 tapes released to the public
Jefferson County, Colorado, Public Schools
|Back to the top||
© 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.|
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.